Tuesday, January 26, 2010

White House Retreat

I went on my first White House retreat this past weekend. The White House is a Jesuit-run retreat facility in St. Louis. The retreat is a silent retreat based on the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola. For three days, I spent time in silent prayer, prayer services, mass, and spiritual talks. I loved it!

The facility is wonderful. It sits on the bluffs over the Mississippi River. Every day I watched barges move up and down the river. I saw bald eagle swooping overhead. I was able to walk in the brisk air every day. It was peaceful, restful, and great!

My life has a lot of noise in it; a constant stream of questions at work, email, news feeds, kids, etc. The quiet time on the retreat was wonderful. It took quite a while to settle down my mind, but once I did, I was able to focus on trying to listen to the Lord. The retreat gave me a sense of peace and gave me time to reflect on a number of things that I've been anxious about in my life.

I would highly recommend a retreat. It was exactly what I needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment