Monday, August 10, 2009

Fear and Trust

Recently I learned that I'm going to be my youngest son's soccer coach, and that got me thinking. At first I worried about having time for practices, then I moved to worrying about being able to teach soccer. If you haven't been able to tell, I'm a worrier.

I've been thinking about and worrying about being a soccer coach for about two weeks now. Just this morning on my way into work, I realized part of why I worry about being a coach: fear. I'm afraid of doing it wrong. I'm afraid of what the parents might think. I'm afraid of ruining the next international soccer star because I don't know soccer as well as someone else might. I'm afraid.

Naturally I have to ask why I'm afraid. I've played soccer. There are many web sites with tips and drills for kids. I know a few people that coach. I have experience leading a group of kids. So why am I afraid?

The "Aha" moment this morning was a revelation to me that I don't trust God like I should. God doesn't give us a challenge without also giving us the grace to handle it. I should be comfortable and excited to be answering God's call. But I'm afraid. This fear can either be debilitating or a growth experience.

If I use this fear as an opportunity to work with Jesus, I'll be better for it. This is a golden opportunity for me to tell Jesus how I feel. Easy. The part that takes a little work is that I need to listen to Him. I think if I take the time to listen, my relationship with Jesus will grow, and I'll trust Him more with the next challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment