Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Call of the Twelve

One of the scripture passages that I've read associated with the third Luminous Mystery (proclamation of the kingdom) is Luke 9:1-6:

He summoned the Twelve and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases, and he sent them to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal [the sick]. He said to them, "Take nothing for the journey, neither walking stick, nor sack, nor food, nor money, and let no one take a second tunic. Whatever house you enter, stay there and leave from there. And as for those who do not welcome you, when you leave that town, shake the dust from your feet in testimony against them." Then they set out and went from village to village proclaiming the good news and curing diseases everywhere.
I struggle with this mystery and this scripture passage. I don't know how to apply the call to proclaim God's kingdom, taking nothing with me. As a father with a career, I have to balance providing for my family and advancing my career. It's difficult to know how to heed God's call and not get caught up in material pursuits.

It's hard not to get caught up in the material world. We as workers need things to maintain houses, get back and forth to work, communicate with others, keep track of to-do lists, etc. It is very easy to think that we need more of these things, that we need bigger things, nicer things, other things. How do we distinguish between being a steward of God's resources and being greedy? As careers develop and pay grows, it gets even harder.

I think as a father, I am responsible for balancing all of this. It is my duty to give my family the necessary example of how to heed God's call and not get caught up in the material world. I hope I'm living up to God's expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment