Wednesday, May 20, 2009

How Do I Help?

Yesterday we learned that the P.E. teacher at my son's school passed away. He was fighting a brain tumor and lung cancer. I thought about this quite a bit yesterday.

A little more background may be in order. This teacher was my P.E. teacher when I was in grade school. His wife was my eighth grade algebra teacher and their daughter was in my grade all through grade school.

Hearing of his passing felt like a call to action for me. But there wasn't anything I could do. I'm not close to the family, so there wasn't anything I could do for them. The feeling of not being able to do something bugged me.

Slowly throughout the day yesterday I came to realize that I could do something, and that something is very powerful. I could pray.

Too many people overlook the power of prayer. If St. Monica's prayers for her wayward son could create a wonderful saint, our prayers can do marvelous things too. Even if we don't see the effects of our prayer, we need to realize that prayer is a powerful tool always at our disposal.

I'm praying for the Teter family.

No comments:

Post a Comment