Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Dad's Reflection on Mother's Day

Driving back from celebrating Mother's Day at my in-law's house today, I was thinking about how we approach Mother's Day.

Society puts a lot of emphasis on Mother's Day. Most of this emphasis is for the shameless sale of flowers, cards, and candy. For one day, everyone loves their mothers. One day a year, father's cook, clean, and help with the kids. By the end of the day, most mothers are doing their "jobs" again.

As a dad, I've tried to help out as much as possible. I do the dishes, take care of the yard, and try to fix things around the house. I've always been involved with my boys, including diaper changes, bath time, illnesses, etc. For the longest time I thought this was just something I did to be a dad.

I believe that God calls all fathers to this type of involvement. Fathers are called to be more than just half of the chromosomal pairing of children; they are called to be dads. Dads are close to their children. Dads lovingly correct their children. Dads talk to, read to, and play with their children. Dads support and bolster their wives. Catholic dads are called to be fathers just like God the Father was "abba" for Jesus the Son.

Jesus showed us the perfect example of fatherhood by giving us glimpses into his relationship with his Father. His relationship was close and affectionate. The Father was firm, but loving. This is the fatherly relationship we are called to have with our children.

Mother's Day should be about honoring our mothers and the mothers of our children. It should also be a day for reflection, ensuring that we are being the dads we are on Mother's Day, all year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment